Do you know if you are an inclusive leader?26 Jul 2016
Over the past several years, we have been inundated with research and conversations about diversity. Diversity in Australia, diversity in our schools, diversity in our communities, but prominently, diversity in our workplaces.
While diversity is all about differences, inclusivity is about making the whole motley crew feel at home together. Inclusivity is the yin to diversity’s yang, and without the two together, there is no real way of making either work.
Therefore, inclusive leadership is about treating people fairly and respecting their differences. It is allowing everybody to feel comfortable enough to bring their full self to the job.
But it does go one step further. Effective inclusive leadership is being able to leverage the power of a diverse group, beyond just being an open-minded “nice guy.”
How can you become a more inclusive leader?
Deloitte Australia recently conducted a study on inclusive leadership, isolating six traits these leaders possess: Commitment, courage, cognisance of bias, curiosity, cultural intelligence, and collaboration.
We’ve translated these elements into a quick questionnaire so you can self-check how inclusive you really are. Remember to be honest.
- Are you committed to inspiring and developing others in your team?
- Do you have the courage to challenge the way things have always been done?
- Are you aware of your own biases and how to overcome them?
- Are you open-minded and curious about other peoples’ perspectives, especially if they are different from your own?
- Are you aware of and knowledgeable about cultural differences and their nuances?
- Do you truly believe that collaboration is the key to success?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then congratulations, you are the key to unlocking the benefits of a diverse workplace. However, if you didn’t, you’ve got some direction on what aspects of leadership you can improve.
But to really refine your leadership skills, check out what the Institute of Communication Management and Leadership has on offer for you.